The version1.10 differs from version 1.00 by:
– Removed all TMZs with the exception of the Kiripotib TMZ.
– Added a new TMZ with the dimensions of the Glider Zone.
– Added the new R airspace FYM401 Etiro.
Now that transponders are mandatory in the entire Airspace E, most MTZ’s can be omitted. Squawk for gliders: 7677
This airspace is valid from 01.11.2024 00:00 Z until 31.01.2024 00:00 Z
The ZIP Archive contains different files
Airspace 2023_24 at Namibia Ver 1.00.txt
OpenAir (TXT) format. For use in flight computers that use the OpenAir format This file is created so that a flight from the glider area above Fl145 leads to an airspace warning. Adjust the flight computer so that airspace class W and E is not warned. Also select max. altitude by FL195.
Airspace 2023_24 at Namibia Ver 1.00 Print with FIR.txt
OpenAir (TXT) format with “Print with FIR” in the file name. For use in desktop*StrePla or SeeYou or other applications in which the real airspaces and not the personal restricted areas should be displayed only.
Airspace 2023_24 at Namibia Ver 1.00.cub
LX NAV and LX Navigation (CUB) format for all Zeus, LX8000 and LX9000 users. This file is created so that a flight from the glider area above FL145 leads to an airspace warning. Adjust the flight computer so that airspace class W and E is not warned. Also select max. altitude by FL195.
Airspace 2023_24 at Namibia Ver 1.00 Print with FIR.cub
LX NAV and LX Navigation (CUB) format with “Print with FIR” in the file name. For use in other applications in which the gliding areas should be displayed only.
Please be advised
- Gliding is possible in Namibia below FL145 all year in airspace class G. It is subject to the same rules as any other VFR flight. Below FL145 gliding is not restricted to a special gliding zone. But below the TMA’s is a general restriction in airspace class G. This affects all TMA’s.
- New since November 2023:
- all gliders will use squawk 7677 when transponder is required.
- for flights above FL145 the transponder squawk 7677 is mandatory also outside the TMZs. It is recommended to monitor FYWH RADAR FREQ 124.7MHZ
- Please refer to the precise communication section of the website and the MOU REGARDING AIRSPACE UTILIZATION.
Also, please read through and comply with the NAM AIC 17/18:
The Namibian airspace is generally defined in NAMCARS Part 172.
The NAMCARS can be downloaded here:
If you plan to enter Botswana airspace,, please refer to the document “Flying Into Botswana Airspace Safety Information” and ask your local Chief Flight Officer for more information.